I’m using my crochet wash mitt pattern, which I haven’t used for a while, and it’s rather fun rediscovering it, almost as if it were written by a stranger. Terry toweling washcloths are all very well, but hand-crocheted wash mitts are definitely the business!
A friend of mine has asked me to make her some crocheted bathroom items to complement some new towels she’s getting – great way to quickly ‘refresh’ your bathroom if you can’t afford a new suite! I review all my patterns every so often, particularly to update recommended yarns as yarns are discontinued and others come on the market, but still it’s been a while since I used this pattern ‘in anger’, and it’s gratifying to find that, despite a number of attempts, there really isn’t any way I want to change it, it works just right, just as it is.
I’m using King Cole Bamboo Cotton DK in a lovely teal colour (Aqua 576) which will match her new towels, and I have a complementary purple (Violet 537) which I may use for some matching washcloths. It’s the first time I’ve used this yarn, and it’s lovely to work with. Provided it launders okay, I think I’ll be adding it to the recommended yarns for these patterns.
Other yarns that should work well for this pattern include:
- Adriafil Memphis
- Katia Cotton 100%
- King Cole Cottonsoft DK
- Patons Washed Cotton DK
- Universal Yarn Bamboo Pop(Rico Designs Essential Cotton DK, which is so widely available and in such a range of colours, unfortunately does not get my vote as it is so noticeably under-weight for a DK.)
One thing I definitely do want to improve on this and all my bathroom crochet patterns though is the photographs, so I’m going to try to make the most of this opportunity to get some new pictures. The ones currently on the listing are some of the earliest I took, and I’ve learnt a lot since then, although I’m still using the same phone camera!
It’s always a challenge for me to get good ‘in context’ photos in particular. Since our bathroom here is an attractive shade of 1980s apricot (the suite and the tiles), it’s not the Etsy-worthy backdrop I could really do with! So wish me luck and sunshine to see if I can get some good photos when I’ve finished these – I’ll update this blog if I do!
Crochet Wash Mitt Pattern Update:
These photos are a bit better (not hard)!
Still not as I would like them – I think it’s something to do with having used white soap, that makes the very white background look grey – but a definite improvement.